About Me

Blogging: Almost as good as using your grandmama's cassette recorder and pretending to be a talk show host.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Author in search of an audience

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a web site that will pay -- not very much, mind you -- for short articles. I figured I could crank out 400 words or so in no time, so I gave it a try. I retained the rights to all but one article and decided to start posting the introductions to some of them here. Just so you aren't caught off guard, I'm linking the bulk of the articles to the site that published them, Associated Content, because page views generate revenue on top of the initial payment. Since most of you reading this blog will be close friends or family, I don't mind using it as a shameless self-promotional tool. I've also begun experimenting with some other ways of earning revenue online, some of which I knew nothing about when I started this pursuit. (Note the Amazon search tab.)

Having earned so far the grand total of $31.55, I don't anticipate this becoming a cash cow. But I'm paying very close attention to the effect it's having on my productivity as a writer. Sure, I'm not writing the Great American Novel here, but I am writing. If this endeavor does nothing more than keep me working, it will have been worth every cent I'm paid.

No comments: